New minimum Efficiencies went into effect on January 1, 2015 in the US for single-phase split systems and packaged units with less than 65,000 BTUH capacities, as follows:
Northern Tier of States as defined by the DOE (covers the entire Famous footprint)
- Split system heat pumps: 14 SEER / 8.2 HSPF
- Packaged Heat Pumps: 14 SEER / 8.0 HSPF
- Packaged Air Conditioners – Furnaces: 14 SEER / 81% AFUE
- Split System Air Conditioners: 13 SEER
- Any 13 SEER heat pumps can be sold as long as they are in inventory, in the Famous footprint.
* The Northern Tier includes: AK, CO, CT, ID, IL, IA, IN, KS, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SD, UT, VT, WVA, WA, WI, WY
* The Southeastern Tier includes: AL, AR, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, KY, LA, MD, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA, U.S. Territories.
* The Southwestern Tier includes: Z, CA, NM, NV
- Dry Charge R22 products can be sold as long as inventory exists, with no deadline for the final sale. Once inventory is depleted, it will no longer be available.
- As of July 1, 2016 only the Northern Tier of States (as defined by the DOE) can sell 13 SEER air conditioning products. Minimum Efficiency ratings for the South- east (14 SEER) and Southwest (14 SEER / 12.2 EER, 11.7 EER if > than 45k BTUH) must be adhered to. Since we are located in the Northern Tier of States we can still install 13 SEER air conditioners. The national standard for heat pumps is 14 SEER / 8.2 HSPF.
- IMPORTANT: Dealers purchasing 13 SEER air conditioners must install them in the Northern Tier of States ONLY. It is in violation of the mandate to purchase 13 SEER air conditioners and install them in the Southeast or Southwest. Please enter this link into your Internet browser to see a brochure and map from the DOE for more information. http://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/ les/2015/11/f27/CAC%20Brochure.pdf
NOTE: Famous will include a statement in the Credit Terms and Conditions to notify customers of the mandate, and that it is a violation to purchase a 13 SEER air conditioner and install it in the Southeast or Southwest Tier of States.